The history of Tipner West

Portsmouth Harbour has been an important strategic position since the Middle Ages. It has been home to the Royal Navy for five centuries and is now a growing, international commercial port and part of the Solent Freeport proposals.

The city and harbour have continued to evolve with each generation. Proposals for development at Tipner West and Horsea Island East have been referenced within Portsmouth City Council archives since 1953 with little progress seen until the City Deal funding was secured in 2013.

Since then, a team led by Portsmouth City Council has been exploring options for the site that can meet the needs of the city and fulfil the terms of the City Deal funding.

Timeline

2013

Portsmouth secures £48.75 million of funding from central government. 31.5 hectares of land is transferred from the MoD to the council to support regeneration at Tipner West and Horsea Island East.

2015

A team of experts begins to look in detail at the options for the site. Environmental and technical surveys begin.

2016

Engagement with Natural England, the Environment Agency, DEFRA, the British Marine Federation, Queen's Harbour Master, the Royal Navy, Crown Estates and other stakeholders begins.

2019

Residents are invited to a series of public exhibitions about the options for Tipner West and businesses are invited to an industry day about the opportunities at Tipner West.

2021

Research is carried out showing appetite among the marine and maritime sector for new facilities at Tipner West. Portsmouth City Council decides to revisit alternative options for the regeneration of the existing landmass only.

2022

A new Local Plan for Portsmouth will come into effect. This will set out the council’s approach to development across the city, including its preferred approach for Tipner West and Horsea Island East.